Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Answered 9/11 Prayer

A heavy, heavy burden.

That's what I remember most about early in the morning on September 9, 2001.

I was desperate for my country to turn to the Lord and love Him for who He is, not for what He could do for them. I literally cried out for God to open their eyes whatever the cost. I prayed for Him to open my eyes to the love and devotion I should have for Him, and for how to share Him with a people who felt they could handle everything in their own power. I was so very new at trying to walk radically for Him, and had floundered so many times. Though I seldom get overly emotional in my prayers, it astonished me that I was weeping so hard for America to turn to God.
Please, God, give them the desire to turn to and lean on You!


As I left for work about half an hour later, I turned on the radio and heard what most Americans will never forget: A plane has just crashed into the Twin Towers...
Oh, God! Please help them!


Once again, in the mysterious way of our Sovereign Father, He used those who were against Him to draw others to Him. Did He cause it to happen? No. He allowed it to happen because of your and my free will. He is just, powerful, and compassionate enough to use what is meant to be against Him for His own good purpose.

The Old Testament is full of foreign kings and peoples who came against and conquered His people, the Israelites, when they had fallen away from Him in order to draw them back to Him. He allows this and uses them for our good. Is that easy to understand? No, it's not. But that's why He tells us through the prophet Isaiah, "8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
    and your ways are not My ways."
          [This is] the L
ORD's declaration.
    9 "For as heaven is higher than earth,
    so My ways are higher than your ways,

    and My thoughts than your thoughts."   
     Isaiah 55:8-9

We are called to trust in only Him; to lean only on Him. And I have heard many stories of people who have placed their trust in Him because of the horrific acts on 9/11/2001.

Lord, I can not understand so many things about that day. But thank You for Your work in so many peoples lives that day and beyond. May we praise You forever for the time you give us. May we, as a nation, be drawn to You today.

No comments:

Post a Comment