Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Alaska, India, Adventure, and the Persecuted Church

Passions.

These are my passions. Aren't they random? I've always wondered why I have such a desire and pull for certain things, have you? As I have grown spiritually as a slave to Christ Jesus, these passions of mine have not diminished as I thought some would, but have increased. How uniquely made we all are!

Alaska is my home. No, I was not born there but it's where my heart resides. The funny thing is that growing up in Florida I always wanted to go to Alaska. Everyone told me that I just thought I'd like it, but when I experienced the cold it would change my mind. They were wrong. I lived there for 3 years in my 20's and loved every bit of it. My first year was a record for cold and lack of snow, they almost had to canceled the Fur Rondy Fesitval, and still I love it. Just as much and even more than the beauty, I love the people of Alaska and pray for them. They are a hearty breed all to themselves!

I have never been to India, but for some God has laid the people of that country on my heart. Particularly the women/girls. We have prayed for several years that perhaps one day we might be able to adopt a daughter from there, and I believe from the bottom of my heart that my daughter is over there. Whether I ever get to meet her in this life or not, I pray for her all the time. It may be that's all the connection I will have with her, but I hope not. We also have sponsored children over there through Compassion International, and a pastor and his family through a Pastor Sponsorship Program.

Adventure! I love wild, daring things, but am very cautious and safe. I love hiking, traveling, skiing, kayaking,  bungee jumping, white water rafting, scuba diving and anything of the like. My next goal is sky diving and eventually base jumping with what I call a squirrel suit (wingsuit). I remember as a child one of the first things I ever wanted to be was a truck driver, because I thought they saw the world! I love adventure. It calls to me...

The persecuted church: This is more than a command to remember my brothers and sisters who endure trails for our faith around the world (Hebrews 13:3). I think and pray for them often. We keep a constant reminder of their love and sacrifice on our kitchen wall through a number of pictures we cut out from a free monthly publication from The Voice of the Martyrs. If you have never heard of them take a few moments to click on the link and check them out. It is good for us to be aware not only of what goes on in other countries, but of how blessed we are here and how we take the freedom of religion for granted.

So why such a hodgepodge of things? I have no idea. That's just they way God made me. I realize my work here on this earth is not done and perhaps someday I will see how all these things will work together. Until then, I'll just have to trust Him that He knows what He's doing!

What are some of your passions?  How can you see them being used to glorify God?
Remember, if He made you that way, there is a way in which to bring Him glory through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment