Thursday, January 14, 2010

How To Live Today

You've heard the saying, "Live today as though it's your last"? I don't really like that one. There are too many people who would throw caution to the wind and just be wild: Eat, drink and be merry.

No matter how hard we try, we are selfish creatures and want what we think is best. If this really was your last day to live, you wouldn't go to school, go grocery shopping for the week, pay your bills, and certainly not clean your house! Yet in reality, we can't live that way. True, the thought is a good motivator to straighten your priorities, but it's little more than that.

So why not use our selfishness to our advantage? They say that everyone wants their 5 minutes of fame. (I think all the reality TV shows and the balloon boy's parents proved that notion.) So let's change that phrase around a little bit...

Live today as though it's the one you will be remembered for.


It's the ultimate reality show! We will all be remembered for something. No, not forever, but at least for our 5 minutes. So why not live like we know it. Honestly, very, very few people get to choose the moment they will be remembered for. It is usually through hindsight that we recognize it. So live the now as though it's the defining moment of your life.

Will you be remembered as the one who... always complained? ...was always joyful? ...did anything to get ahead? ...truly showed love to others? ...told the Truth? ...did just enough to get by? ...was passionate about Jesus- even on Tuesday afternoons?

Who will they say you truly worshiped?  God? Sports? Religion? Your kids? Your free time?

Think about what you talk most about in an average day - the day for which you will be remembered. That is who/what you will be remembered for worshiping.

Who will you be today?

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! Unfortunately, I feel like the thing I think about most is food - what's for lunch, dinner... What do I need to get at the store for dinner... What do I need to cook that fits the days schedule or trash schedule...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SOOO true!!! I never thought (like really thought) about it as a daily thing...you know? I posted on my FB on January 1st, "another year to make a diffrence in people's lives"...trully it is an everyday expirience...be an everyday "at least", to be a diffrence for 5 minutes in someone's life may change the future in that person's life! I feel like I'm always planning my day...I just need for God to plan it for me...that's who I'll be today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, Tiffany. There should be a real difference in our perspective as believers--we should live each day in light of eternity and not as is this life is all there is. There shouldn't be a huge difference in every day and what our last day (if we knew what it was) should look like, but I think we all get caught up in mundane details and distractions and lose our focus (I do!). Thanks for sharing what God is putting on your heart! :)
    Kim K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, I use to be that way with food too.....then it betrayed me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete