Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Being Flexible

There just never seems to be time enough in our hectic schedules for just talking with people. Yesterday, I had too many things to do in too short of a time to do them. Even though I really wasn't behind too bad, I felt that way a little since my wonderful husband had got up and taken the kids to school in order to let me sleep in a bit. I did: And woke up at 10:45. I guess I needed it more than I thought.

After we had breakfast together, I started in on my day's work. Now, I'm the type of person who has a hard time getting in too much studying at home because of all the things I see which need to be done. Right there. Calling to me. So, after being prompted by the Spirit to go shopping for a few particular things, I figured it would make sense to stop by and get work done at a local coffee shop until time to pick up the kids from school. I only had about an hour, but figured it was time to get one or two things accomplished.

However, as I got there, a wonderful lady whom I have met briefly before, and I started talking. As we continued on in our conversation, my flesh was telling me over and over how much I needed to do and I was wasting time. Yet the Spirit within me kept me gabbing away. At the end of our conversation, which came only because I was about to be late picking up the kids, I realized how blessed I was to have spoken to her. Not only because I was able to proclaim the glory of the Lord and how amazing He is, but because we as Christians seldom take the time to encourage and uplift one another in the Lord. This precious sister in Christ and I have a heavenly Father who we needed to talk about! How else can we show our love for Him while sitting there?

Yes, I still had much to do, but I truly believe the Father  honored that time, by allowing me to complete everything I needed to get done anyway: Even though I was further behind than I had realized at that point. As the Lord has been teaching me to love the way He desires me to, I've noticed that entails spending more time, one-on-one, with people. Not planning what to do for them, studying about them, or even just praying for them. But being with them.

As I am still learning, I ask you the question I ask of myself: Are you being sensitive to the Spirit, and flexible enough to follow through with His daily direction to encourage and strengthen those we come in contact with?

No comments:

Post a Comment