Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Blessed Are: The Peacemakers

Blessed are the peacemakers, because they will be called sons of God.
Matthew 5:9

The next verse in the series of the beatitudes is on the blessing to peacemakers. I want to do this verse justice, since there are so many wonderful applications possible. However, they just aren't meshing in my brain well right now. Why? I am not at peace!

It has been a very long week - I know it's just Monday, but I'm counting since last Monday. I'd have to say that it has crescendoed to last night where I left my phone in the rain and I'm fighting getting sick. Some of that said, I decided to go out to get my writing done elsewhere since the Wi-Fi at my house isn't working and I can't really complain since it's not mine anyway... Also, have you ever tried to study or write with a pile of laundry staring at you from right next to a very wonderful and loving, yet talkative husband?

So here I am sitting at a bread place staring down a gentleman eating a warm, crispy baguette and trying to write about peace. God has such a sense of humor.

That's when the Lord seems to speak to me most clearly. Today He reminded me that the kind of peace He gives comes when it really doesn't make any sense to the rest of the world. I should be ornery and frustrated, but deep down, I'm really not. Even Jesus said to His disciples at the last supper, "Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Your heart must not be troubled or fearful."  John 14:27

Another important lesson He taught me was that Matthew 5:8 says, "Blessed are the peacemakers..." Not 'Blessed are those who are at peace all the time...' We show ourselves as God's children (sons) not by the fact we seem to float around in a state of bliss, but that we strive to make peace - especially when we don't want to. We are to be makers of peace, and in order to do that we have to be in situations where peace needs to be made: Even if it's just acknowledging that it is within ourselves.

Today, take some time to find places to be a peacemaker, and say a pray of thanks for the peace that comes to you in order to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment