Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Take Your Medicine

Have you ever had to take medicine that made you feel worse before it cured you? That's what I am doing. There is a virus that had settled so deep in my system that it will take several months to pull out with a remedy series. What's annoying is that about a week to three weeks after beginning treatment, symptoms will often get worse for several days, but there comes a time in life when it's still worth it.

It's the same with drawing sin out of our lives that has settled so deep within us. We have grown so use to their effects, and have taken root so deep, that we often need to have a remedy series to remove them. For the virus in my body, I am taking a vial every three days which has a stronger and stronger dose of medicine. I have to work up to the maximum dosage. It's the same with sins we are ridding ourself of. We need a strict regiment of prayer, God's Word, and perhaps an accountability partner- someone to remind us to and make sure that we take the next dose.

The beautiful thing about it is God knows when to up our dose. I have found that when working on a particular flaw in my Christian walk, verses in the Bible hit me as they never have before. I may have read a certain verse time and time again, but suddenly one day- WHAM - the Spirit opens my eyes and I am convicted. That is an upped dose. And let me tell you, sometimes it doesn't feel so good.

So then we have a choice:

Do we continue on to be cleansed, or do we allow it to settle back in?

...Rather, train yourselves for godliness, for, the training of the body has a limited benefit, but godliness is beneficial in every way, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance. In fact, we labor and strive for this, because we have put our hope in the living God, who the the Savior of everyone, especially of those who believe. 
1 Timothy 4:7-10

No comments:

Post a Comment