Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Where Dreams Come True

I'm going to have to interrupt this blog series for a few days. Thanks for your indulgence! There are two reasons: The first and biggest is that I am in Florida and am helping my mother move. I wrote as many blogs in advance as possible and hoped to have a few moments to write a few more. I can be so silly..... Honestly, I hope to have something posted for the next few days, but if I don't, just know I am drowning in a sea of boxes and interstates and will have much to write about when I get back.

The other reason I'm writing on something different is I really wanted to tell you about something that happened the other day. My mother, mother-in-law, and I took Lauren and Elijah to the Magic Kingdom on Wednesday. They were SO excited. We had really talked about it and built it up, so the kids were in a frenzy by the time we were driving there. The first funny thing that happened was, as we were finally getting into the parking lot Elijah looked around and said, "This place doesn't look that fun!" We all laughed and assured him that the best was yet to come.

We had a great day, though it was very hot. They did very well in the heat and LONG lines, and were having a great time. By the end of the day we were exhausted. We sat there watching the parade at the end, but after about ten minutes Elijah looked up at me and said, "They said this was the place where dreams come true. But they were wrong." Then he turned back to watching the parade again in silence.

WHAT? I started laughing and after it was done, and we were actually sitting for a few minutes, asked him what he meant. Didn't he have a good time? He told me he had a great time and didn't really know what he had expected to happen.

I started thinking, isn't that what we are like when we become Christians, or join a new church? We think that all of our dreams are now going to come true and we will live in a perpetual state of joy. But then what we dreamed might happened, even if we couldn't quite put it in words, doesn't happen and we feel disappointed. It's always going to happen though. This is not heaven nor the new earth. The point of it is, do we keep park hopping trying to find the dream come true, or do we stick it out and enjoy what we can and DO as much as we can.

Don't get me wrong. I love the park hoppers pass, but it just doesn't work with a church body and I think too many people have gotten that confused. There are also times when the park closes and we are called for a "night of rest" then to a new park/church. That's OK too, as long as it's God's calling and not our own wish-washy-ness.

What do you have for today? A day pass or have you been park hopping? Dreams don't come true- Not till we get to heaven, so let's enjoy what were are given until that time.

2 comments:

  1. The most important thing is that you are looking to God for your direction and not the park you are in. I love that Elijah is so aware of truth - he is a marketers nightmare.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might consider starting a journal or something to record those "Elijahisms." He seems to have insight that is well beyond his young years. Should be interesting to keep track of them.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete